Button Batteries “It turns out this is one of the most damaging and dangerous things that my beautiful boy could have ever swallowed. It does not get much worse than this.” - Mother of an 8 month-old baby boy Home The risks Top tips Where are they? **Emergency** Session resources Resources Campaigns News Safety advice ‘Flat’ button batteries dangers Button batteries, in particular big, powerful lithium coin cell batteries (like a 5 pence piece), can badly hurt or kill a small child if they swallow one and it gets stuck in their food pipe. But who would guess a ‘flat’ battery can cause serious harm? Most of us think that, when a battery stops powering a product, it must have no power left and be ‘flat’. However, many ‘flat’ lithium coin cell batteries still hold enough charge to burn a small child’s food pipe, if they swallow one and it gets stuck there. It can burn through soft tissue for days or even weeks, as many batteries are swallowed without the adults knowing and with the child too young to be able to tell them. Happily the solution is simple. Help us warn parents about the risks and encourage them to keep used button batteries out of reach of young children. Our news article tells you everything you need to know before your next support call, Zoom or doorstep visit. And here we offer a range of free resources for you to use, no matter how you are working with families at the moment. Why not add to your newsletter or website, share on social media or circulate to other organisations who support families. Word doc Are they really ‘flat’? article (280 words) download Word doc Are they really ‘flat’? article (155 words) download Twitter Copy this text:'Flat' or dead lithium coin cell batteries can cause serious harm to a child's food pipe if they swallow one and it gets stuck. It may not power your device, but it can still harm your child. Are your used #ButtonBatteries really flat? http://ow.ly/kbHR50BCG88 download image Facebook/Instagram Copy this text:'Flat' or dead lithium coin cell (button) batteries can cause serious harm to a child's food pipe if they swallow one and it gets stuck. Those 'flat' button batteries spilling out of the pot in the kitchen drawer may not power your device, but they can still harm your child. Next time you grab your bags and mask to go shopping, grab the #ButtonBatteries too and put them in the recycling. Store or recycle safely.http://ow.ly/cSrs50BCGyO download image Images Download and use our other copyright-free button battery photos for your own communications. Link to Flickr albums Film Share our button battery film to illustrate how much damage button batteries can do. Link to Youtube More information Find out more about the risks button batteries pose and where you can find them and read our top tips for keeping children safe.