Button Batteries “It turns out this is one of the most damaging and dangerous things that my beautiful boy could have ever swallowed. It does not get much worse than this.” - Mother of an 8 month-old baby boy Home The risks Top tips Where are they? **Emergency** Resources Campaigns News Safety advice Top tips Button batteries, particularly big, powerful lithium coin cell batteries, can badly hurt or kill a small child if they swallow one and it gets stuck in their food pipe. Here are our top tips for keeping children safe: Look round your home for lithium coin cell batteries – in products as well as spare and ‘flat’ batteries. Keep products well out of children’s reach if the battery compartment isn’t secured. Store spare button batteries in a sealed container in a high cupboard. Remember that ‘flat’ or ‘dead’ batteries still hold enough power to badly hurt a child. So put them out of children’s reach straight away and recycle them safely and as quickly as possible. Take care when buying toys from markets, discount stores or temporary shops as they may not conform to safety regulations. Similarly, toys bought online or from overseas may also not meet UK safety standards. Teach older children that button batteries are dangerous and not to play with them or give them to younger brothers and sisters. If you think your child has swallowed a button battery, don’t delay, take them to A&E straight away or call 999 for an ambulance. Don’t let them eat or drink and don’t make them sick. Download and share these top tips. More information Find out more about the risks button batteries pose, learn where you can find button batteries in your home and find out what to do in an emergency if you suspect your child has swallowed one. Campaigns Get involved in our educational campaigns on button batteries. Free images and resources Help us spread the word about the dangers of button batteries by using and sharing our copyright-free photos and free downloadable illustrations, resources and videos.