News We are supporters of Gas Safety Week 2018 Think you can’t be affected by carbon monoxide poisoning? Think again! Basically, if you have any boiler, gas hob, wood-burning stove, open fire or any other fuel-burning appliance in the house, you, your family and your pets are at risk of accidental poisoning from carbon monoxide. You can’t see, smell or taste it, it can be fatal, and because of their size, children are at greater risk of dying. The only reliable way of knowing it’s there is with an audible carbon monoxide alarm. As the seasons change, and people start to heat their homes again, it’s more important than ever that people understand the potentially fatal risk of carbon monoxide poisoning. In fact gas safety is important all year round, but it is not always a household’s top priority. Data from surveys shows that the majority of households in the UK don’t have an audible carbon monoxide alarm, which could indicate that awareness levels are still desperately low. Gas Safety Week Gas Safety Week (17 -23 SEPTEMBER 2018) - coordinated by Gas Safe Register - is an annual campaign helping us to stay safe in our homes. Here is their six simple steps to gas safety: Only use a Gas Safe registered engineer to fit, fix and service your appliances. You can find and check an engineer at GasSafeRegister.co.uk (check out our graphic below) or call 0800 408 5500. Check both sides of your engineer’s Gas Safe Register ID card. Make sure they are qualified for the work you need doing. You can find this information on the back of the card. Have all your gas appliances regularly serviced and safety checked every year. If you rent your home ask for a copy of the landlord’s current Gas Safety Record. Know the six signs of carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning – headaches, dizziness, breathlessness, nausea, collapse and loss of consciousness. Unsafe gas appliances can put you at risk of CO poisoning, gas leaks, fires and explosions. Check gas appliances for warning signs that they are not working properly e.g. lazy yellow flames instead of crisp blue ones, black marks or stains on or around the appliance and too much condensation in the room. Fit an audible carbon monoxide alarm. This will alert you if there is carbon monoxide in your home.