Toddler death highlights blind cord danger

11 Apr 2011

A grieving couple have warned other parents about the dangers of blind cords after the tragic death of their son who was 21 months old.
 

Caden Laine died after climbing onto a chest of drawers and becoming entangled in the blind cords.

Blind cords, drawstrings, and other hanging cords can be a great risk to young children. Many parents don’t realise how easy it is for a child to become strangled by cords that hang within the child’s reach.

That’s why we at CAPT advise that all blind cords and other hanging strings are tied up well out of reach of babies and young children.

Caden’s dad Tony said about his son’s death: “This was a tragic accident and it could have been prevented.

“I just want people to know the dangers. Hopefully they will take more notice than I did.”

More information

If you are a practitioner working with children and families, visit our practitioner section on preventing strangulation:

Visit our practitioner section

External links

As part of their Make It Safe campaign, the British Blind and Shutter Association has produced a leaflet and video on how to make blinds safer:

Make It Safe campaign

The Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents also have information on their site about the Make it Safe campaign:

Visit the RoSPA site