CAPT Guide to Commissioning
CAPT has produced a free, downloadable guide to commissioning effective child accident prevention services, both as a standalone programme and as an integral part of wider services for children and families.
It supports the Public Health Outcomes Framework indicator on hospital admissions caused by unintentional and deliberate injuries in under 18s.
Who the guide is for
The Guide will be really helpful for anyone involved in commissioning child accident prevention activities, in particular:
- local authority public health strategic leads with responsibility for children’s services
- local authority public health project / programme managers
- local authority commissioners for early years / children’s services
- clinical commissioning group (CCG) portfolio holders for children’s health services
- members of health and wellbeing boards (HWBs)
- members of children’s trust boards
- injury prevention co-ordinators
- local safeguarding children board (LSCB) business managers
- children’s centre managers / co-ordinators
- public health leads on NHS Commissioning Board local area teams
- public health data analysts.
What the guide covers
- Planning and commissioning services – the commissioning cycle for child accident prevention and key things to consider at each stage.
- How to find and interpret data - where to find the accident data you need and how to work around problems you might encounter.
- The policy framework - an overview of the organisations that have a role to play in child accident prevention, plus the policy links that commissioners should be aware of.
- Effective interventions and services - where to find information about evidence-based programmes, and examples of good practice.
- How to work in partnership - practical tips on getting started with partnership working and making every contact count.
- Effective engagement with parents and carers - explains the barriers to parental engagement in child safety issues and describes effective approaches to engagement.
- How Making the Link and CAPT can help you in your work - links to some of our tools, resources and services that can help you in your work.
Download the Guide here.